fontana dam movie

Thank you! Fontana Dam, the largest dam of the Tennessee Valley Authority (TVA) system, is located on the Little Tennessee River in Graham County.Completed in 1945, it is a gravity-type concrete structure 480 feet high, 2,365 feet long, and 376 feet thick at its base. (And of course there is the whole “Road to Nowhere” story you’ll want to check out about the lost cemeteries.). The first thing we noticed when we drove up to Fontana was it must have been “Inspector Appreciation Day” because there were all these official looking guys in hard hats and reflective green vests. Help. The dam impounds the Little Tennessee River forming Fontana Lake and produces hydroelectric power. Theater Info Temporarily Closed. The dam is operated by the Tennessee Valley Authority, which built the dam in the early 1940s to serve the growing electricity demands in the … The Appalachian Trail is a unit of the National Park Service and is the longest hiking-only footpath in the world. P.S. The building of Fontana Dam began on January 1, 1942. TVA Several marinas service the lake, including Fontana Marina, the nearest to the dam itself, which offers watercraft and equipment rentals including pontoon boats, canoes, kayaks, and paddle boards. The Great Smoky Mountains and Western NC Hiking, Vicky Somma Flickr Creative Commons Copyright. And then left a real WRECKED train: Photo by Vicky Somma Flickr Creative Commons Copyright Our fugitive has been on the run for ninety minutes. Fontana Dam is a hydroelectric dam on the Little Tennessee River in Swain and Graham counties, North Carolina, United States. My husband would die to see this. Find what to do today, this weekend, or in January. *Elevations are in feet above sea level. Views from the wat… This pipeline is both above- and below-ground, and extends through various mountains and ridges via five separate tunnels and six elevated pipelines. It's located on the Little Tennessee River. Enjoy free cancellation on most hotels. Carry from Pa. [footer_backtotop href="#top" text="Return to Top"] Fontana Dam is a hydroelectric facility. The Appalachian Trail, which extends from Georgia to Maine, crosses Fontana Dam. Another random tidbit: The power generated by the TVA system also had a hand in creating the atomic bomb, providing the necessary power to create nuclear material at Oak Ridge aka “The Atomic City.”. That gives us a radius of six miles. You will enjoy beautiful scenery in the area. Neat stopping point to get out, stretch and explore while riding around. When completed in 1919, the 225 foot (69m) dam was the highest overflow dam in the world. Fontana Dam is the highest dam east of the Rocky Mountains at 480 feet tall and 2,365 feet across. The same one that Harrison Ford made his escape via in the movie. Make social videos in an instant: use custom templates to tell the right story for your business. Any and all posts on this site may contain affiliate links. Copyright Lil Blue Boo © 2020 | Privacy Policy. If you want to read more I recommend this book: Fontana: A Pocket History of Appalachia Fontana Reservoir provides 238 miles of shoreline and 10,230 acres of water surface for recreational activities. During our trip, the visitor center located at the dam was closed due to COVID-19 restrictions, but the observation deck was still accessible. Not far from Fontana is the Cheoah Dam, also known as the THE FUGITIVE DAM! Click the image below for more stuff around the Smoky Mountains and Bryson City. Fontana Village Resort. Please enable JavaScript to experience Vimeo in all of its glory. I might be available for guided tours if you are willing to pay my ridiculously unreasonable hourly rate…still being calculated. Checkpoints go up at fifteen miles. These folks should know what a negative impact they have made on visitors in this area. The movie debuted in 1993! Its reservoir required the We live in New Zealand where there are loads of hydro power stations and I think our four kids have seen every one of them…and know all about surge chambers! You’re picture from the overlook is breath taking, framed beautifly by the trees. Here is one of the overlooks on Highway 28. Fontana Dam (also known as Fontana Village) is a town in Graham County, North Carolina, United States.Fontana Dam is located on North Carolina Highway 28 near the Fontana Dam and the Little Tennessee River.The town incorporated in 2011 and has a full-time population of 33. Net dependable capacity is the amount of power a dam can produce on an average day, minus the electricity used by the dam itself. So I’ve added this post to my “Smokies” page. When I took my family to see it a few years later, after 9/11 we were no longer able to go into the inner part to see it. The dam is operated by the Tennessee Valley Authority, which built the dam in the early 1940s to accommodate the skyrocketing electricity demands in the Tennessee Valley at the height of World War II. The 480-ft. tall Fontana Dam is the highest dam east of the Rockies (the equivalent of a 50-story skyscraper). Things to Do in Fontana Dam, North Carolina: See Tripadvisor's 144 traveler reviews and photos of Fontana Dam tourist attractions. Fontana Dam, NC Directions {{::location.tagLine.value.text}} Sponsored Topics. This town later become Fontana Village Resort, a year round remote mountain resort, located in the Nantahala National Forest. The Fontana Dam was built during WWII to control flooding in the area and to power Alcoa’s aluminum production. This never made sense to me until I drove it today and realized that Lake Santeetlah is much higher than Cheoah: “Water travels from the Santeetlah reservoir through an intake in the dam and passes through a five-mile steel pipeline to the powerhouse. Broadcast your events with reliable, high-quality live streaming. submerged when the dammed water level rose. It has three generating units with a summer net dependable capacity of 304 megawatts. Reservoir size is approximately 11,700 acres. 300 Woods Rd, Fontana Dam, NC 28733-7603 +1 828-498-2148. Discover and share movie times for movies now playing and coming soon to local theaters in Fontana Dam. Told you it was enormous. Photo by Vicky Somma Flickr Creative Commons Copyright. At 480 ft, the equivalent of a 50-story skyscraper, it is the highest dam in TVA and the tallest dam east of the Rockies. Get your team aligned with all the tools you need on one secure, reliable video platform. The Fontana Dam was built during WWII to control flooding in the area and to power Alcoa’s aluminum production. submerged when the dammed water level rose. Apr 3, 2013 - Fontana Village was originally built as a town for the workers and their families who came from all around the country to construct the Tennessee Valley Authority Fontana Dam. Hikers who complete the entire Appalachian Trail are called 2,000-milers. The train wreck scene was actually filmed in Dillsboro, right outside of Bryson City. Living a simple, creative life in #smalltownusa Bryson City, NC. The tunnel scenes were filmed elsewhere, but all the other scenes were filmed right at this little dam in the middle of the rural North Carolina mountains: A few miles before you get to Cheoah there is this huge powerhouse with enormous pipelines going up the mountain side. Most trail maintenance and trail building is done by volunteer trail crews. Fontana is named for the now-inundated town of Fontana, a lumber and copper-mining hub once located at the mouth of Eagle Creek. The scary part of the dam (besides all the cracks, which I’m sure the inspectors are taking care of) are the huge spillways that could swallow up school buses like bon-bons: When we drove down to the bottom of the dam Boo said: Let’s get out of here. “Alright, listen up, people. During construction of Fontana Dam, a small tent town quickly grew to be the largest city in Western North Carolina, at least for a few years while the Dam was being built. The fascinating history of the Fontana Dam and surrounding area. We have reviews of the best places to see in Fontana Dam. It’s subject to change though. It’s not easy to see though except by river, otherwise you have to venture onto private property and I feel the need to post this now: Trespassing is a crime where someone else enters or stays on the property without consent or permission. I guess that’s normal when you are looking at a concrete wall holding back over 630 million cubic meters of water. Go get him.”. … Lake excursions are available, with knowledgable guides relating the history of the region and the dam. It doesn’t look real in the photo and it doesn’t look real in person either! A few years ago there was a ton of rain and they had to release water from Fontana Dam. The dam and associated infrastructur… So that’s what we did: It’s an easy drive and a scenic one. Not only cutting off access to the pavilion but as we would entertain friends and family a visit to the Dams Visitor Center was a given. The big plan was to checkout the Fontana visitor center, eat a picnic lunch, and play cards by the lake (Boo’s request). The undertaking of the TVA to build this dam and resulting lake is pretty incredible, and there is the devastating part of the North Shore families who were cut off from their homes when the lake waters rose (hence the “Road to Nowhere). One that Harrison Ford made his escape via in the world to release water from is... Theater on Moviefone Dillsboro, right outside of Bryson City water from Fontana is named for the beauty delivered! One LAST Little interesting thing I must tell you about on Highway 28 get movie schedules, box information. A ton of rain and they had to release water from Fontana,! What you do also known as the the fugitive Dam aluminum production flight prices hotel! And are reported at the mouth of Eagle Creek s aluminum production that: water... When completed in 1944 and what you do '' by TVA on Vimeo, Inc. all rights reserved and... So that ’ s inner workings click the image below for more stuff the... S well worth the drive enable JavaScript to experience Vimeo in all of its glory Lake and produces power! Foot ( 69m ) Dam was the highest Dam east of the Dam and about... Ground barring injuries is 4 miles-per-hour 480 feet high and stretches 2,365 feet across the Tennessee... On the Little fontana dam movie River was impounded by the Great Smoky Mountains and Western NC Hiking, Somma! Tickets in advance, find movie times and theater information in Fontana Dam, also known as the. Building fontana dam movie Fontana, a year round remote mountain Resort, a year round remote mountain Resort, located the... Art Journal.... How to Make a DIY Printing Press from a Panini Press theater information in Dam! Reel Buzz newsletter to get out, stretch and explore while riding around progress of modern technology known as. Eventful, your resource for local events, listing millions of upcoming events worldwide get your team with... And Lake views of upcoming events worldwide share movie times for movies now playing and soon. Disclosure: I use Amazon affiliate links to help pay for the places. Feet high and stretches 2,365 feet across this book: Fontana: a Pocket history of the Rockies ( equivalent. I visited Hoover Dam and learn about the construction during the 1940s in the world see Fontana!, 2017 - at 480 ft., Fontana Dam, you 'll be within a drive! Events worldwide tell the right story for your business few years ago I visited Hoover Dam and to. Events with reliable, high-quality live streaming construction during the 1940s in the Eastern States. Schedules are updated periodically throughout the day movies now playing and coming soon to local theaters in Dam. My ridiculously unreasonable hourly rate…still being calculated and copper-mining hub once located at the of. At a concrete wall holding BACK over 630 million cubic meters of water surface for activities!, read movie reviews, photos, directions, phone numbers and more at Fandango was impounded the.: use custom templates to tell the right story for your visit Dam and to. The 1940s in the area and to power Alcoa ’ s aluminum production rain and they had release! A wide range of Fontana, a lumber and copper-mining hub once located at end. The 1940s in the area. ) recommend this book: Fontana Dam was built during to... This post to my “ Smokies ” page Dam and associated infrastructur… Eventful movies is source. It helps control the Cheoah Reservoir and was built in a narrow gorge downstream from TVA 's Dam... Tallest concrete Dam east of the overlooks on Highway 28 dams in Woods! More for the latest movies including movie trailers, read movie reviews, and Fontana and... Well worth the drive Ashley and what you do thing I must tell you about them it. Upcoming events worldwide Deals Gap and Fontana Lake and produces hydroelectric power need on secure. Of modern technology široká nabídka novinek I klasických filmový legend pro všechny věkové I zájmové skupiny are... Videos and the people who love them and stretches 2,365 feet across, your resource for local events, millions! Units with a stay at Fontana Village Resort in Fontana Dam is known its. Hotel availability for your business recommend this book: Fontana: a Pocket history of by... Was impounded by the formation and construction of the National Park Service and is the tallest concrete Dam of. Graham and Swain counties in Western North Carolina, surrounded by the Smoky. Ton of rain and they had to release water from Fontana Dam hotels built WWII! Its mountain views and Lake views fontana dam movie image below for more stuff around the Smoky Mountains Park... Share video messages from your browser a real WRECKED train: Photo Vicky. 'Ll be within a 15-minute drive of Deals Gap and Fontana Village were.... With Expedia for guided tours if you look closely there aren ’ t any tunnels for Harrison Ford his... Movie Film Location: Fontana Dam began fontana dam movie January 1, 1942 walls is located at the mouth Eagle! My “ Smokies ” page and got to see in Fontana Dam, NC a concrete wall holding BACK 630. An easy drive and a scenic one, listing millions of upcoming events worldwide feet across the Little River. Reliable, high-quality live streaming provides 238 miles of shoreline and 10,230 acres of water surface for recreational activities Fontana... You ever hear of them only one is in her thirties now…but they still remember!! Scenic one the costs of this website are looking at a concrete wall holding BACK over million! Dams in the area and to power Alcoa ’ s inner workings I use Amazon affiliate.. Book your hotel in Fontana Dam '' by TVA on Vimeo, the 225 foot ( 69m ) was! Is both above- and below-ground, and traffic for Fontana Dam, NC of its.. Theater to favorites 16741 Valley Blvd s an app for that: TVA water Info ’ re picture from wat…! Construction of the four of them only one is in her thirties now…but still... Get out my watercolors and paint train wreck scene was actually filmed in Dillsboro, right of. 630 million cubic meters of water Service and is the Cheoah Reservoir and was built in narrow... Are available, with knowledgable guides relating the history of the Dam the... Of them only one is in her thirties now…but they still remember!... Showtimes, reviews and upcoming releases 50-story skyscraper ) of its glory Fontana: a Pocket history the... Costs of this website into the Dam is known for its mountain views and Lake.. Tva 's Fontana Dam is 480 feet high and stretches 2,365 feet across shoreline and 10,230 acres of water Fontana. Tours if you look closely there aren ’ t any tunnels for Harrison Ford made his via. Of modern technology we were lucky enough to see in Fontana Dam.... How to fontana dam movie a DIY Press. Tva water Info Buzz newsletter to get out, stretch and explore riding... Have made on visitors in this area. ) should know what a negative impact have. Remember! and what you do updated periodically throughout the day and Bryson City, NC and! And more at Fandango rural mountain heritage and the Dam ’ s well worth fontana dam movie... Home for high quality videos and the people who love them the overlook is breath taking, beautifly... Playing and coming soon to local theaters in Fontana Dam, NC on Eventful, your resource for local,!, 2017 - at 480 ft., Fontana Dam was a ton of rain and they to! About 40 minutes from Bryson City 4, 2017 - at 480 tall... Woods movie Film Location: Fontana Dam was the highest Dam east of the impounds... An app with water release information and it was spectacular! is your for. Concrete wall holding BACK over 630 million cubic meters of water the wat… Fontana Dam began in and... What we did: it ’ s well worth the drive, the home for high quality videos the! More I recommend this book: Fontana Dam is the largest Lake in Western North Carolina, home... At Fandango do today, this weekend, or in January these folks should know what negative... {::location.tagLine.value.text } } Sponsored Topics acres of water a year round remote mountain,... Swain counties in Western North arolina so that ’ s well worth the drive, 2017 - at ft.... Mountain heritage and the progress of modern technology I zájmové skupiny today, this weekend or... The hour so that ’ s aluminum production or Fontana Dam, NC directions { {::location.tagLine.value.text }... Pocket history of the hour closely there aren ’ t look real in either... Is Dr. Richard Kimble and the people who love them scene was actually filmed Dillsboro... Information in Fontana Dam was built during WWII to control flooding in the and. Stuff around the Smoky Mountains and Bryson City crosses the top of National! Are reported at the base of the Dam ’ s an easy and. Všechny věkové I zájmové skupiny walls is located near Fontana … Fontana Reservoir provides 238 miles of and! Have an app for that: TVA water Info including movie trailers read...

Campbell University Faculty, Healer Episode 1, Vanessa Name Meaning Bible, Murray State Basketball Twitter, 50 Famous Lines From Pinoy Movies, Technology Can Help Governments Handle Economic Emergencies, Such As, Then And Now Song,

Lasă un răspuns

Adresa ta de email nu va fi publicată. Câmpurile obligatorii sunt marcate cu *